THOSE CRITICAL PEOPLE
- Aaron and Miriam criticized Moses. Numbers 12:1-8
- People criticized Paul for being a bad speaker. 2 Cor. 10:10
- Pharisees criticized Jesus for eating with sinners and healing on the Sabbath. Mark 2:16, Luke 13:14
- NEVER IGNORE THE VALUE OF CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. 32 If you reject criticism, you only harm yourself…
Proverbs 15:31-32 NLT
DEALING WITH UNJUST CRITICISM
1) GOD, HELP ME KNOW WHEN TO RESPOND TO CRITICISM.
Now the Ephraimites asked Gideon, “Why have you treated us like this?… And they criticized him sharply. 2 But he answered them… Judges 8:1-2
…When the men of Ephraim heard Gideon’s answer, they were no longer angry. Judges 8:3 NLT
2) GOD, HELP ME KNOW WHEN TO DISMISS INVALID CRITICISM.
23 When they hurled their insults at [Jesus], he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 1 Peter 2:23
3) GOD, HELP ME OVERCOME MY OWN CRITICAL NATURE.
Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. Proverbs 12:18 NLT
TALK IT OVER
- Share a time when you received constructive criticism. How did you respond to it?
- What steps do you need to take to put God’s opinion of you ahead of other people’s opinion?
- How have you been unjustly critical of others? What will you do to overcome your own critical nature?
Find resources that will help you deal with unjust criticism at http://resources.lifechurch.tv including a small group discussion guide for this message.