THOSE HYPOCRITICAL PEOPLE
hupokrites (hoop-ok-ree-tace’); an actor; stage-player, one who hides behind a mask.
You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 8“These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” Matthew 15:7-8
1) GOD, HELP ME CONFRONT WITH THE GOAL OF RESTORATION.
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. Galatians 6:1
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20
2) GOD, HELP ME CONFRONT WITH CAUTION.
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted… Galatians 6:1
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 1 Corinthians 10:12
3) GOD, HELP ME SEE WHEN I’M THE HYPOCRITE.
David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the LORD lives, the man who did this deserves to die! 6He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.” 7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man!” 2 Samuel 12:5-7
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12
TALK IT OVER
- Do you know someone who is being hypocritical? How will you go about prayerfully confronting them?
- Where are you being hypocritical in your own life? What’s your next step to addressing your hypocrisy?
- Share a time when someone confronted you about your own hypocrisy. How did you respond and what did you learn from it?
Find resources that will help you confront your own hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of others at http://resources.lifechurch.tv including a small group discussion guide for this message.